When you got a certain age you were allowed to go off campus. You could walk or ride the bikes they provided to us. I liked looking at toys in the stores. If I didn’t have enough money, I mastered peeling off the tag of a cheaper toy and placing it on the more expensive one. One time I asked the lady behind the counter if I could have a paper bag. I went to the toys and placed one I wanted in the bag, then tried to walk out of the store. I was caught by the woman who asked, “What are you doing.” I said, “Nothing.” She said, “Well it looks like you are hiding something. You know I could call the police on you.” I started to cry. She said, “Don’t you know this is stealing? You shouldn’t steal. Is that what you asked me for a bag for?“ I started crying harder and begged her not to call the police. She let me go after I promised her I would never steal again. Every time I saw her from that time forward I would always say “I’m sorry.”
That night I sat in my room thinking of better ways to steal and not get caught, what I was going to say if I got caught, and how I would conceal my items and get them out of the store more effectively. I would steal anything I thought was beautiful to give to my girlfriend... candy, cards, whatever, or just for myself.
Monday, July 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment