Monday, July 28, 2008

Starting a life in foster care

When I was about 3 or 4 years old (I don’t remember exactly), my earliest memory was my mother telling me (in Spanish, which I have since forgotten) she would always love me as she handed me over to the foster care system. Years later, my grandmother told me that my mother loved me but didn’t know how to take care of me or provide for my medical expenses. I then became a ward of the court. When I arrived in my first foster care home, I remember just crying “Where is my Mom.” I was young and didn’t know what was happening. My new foster mother tried to reassure me all was going to be ok. I stayed with various foster families from then on. There is no way to even keep track there were so many.

No comments: